Monday, November 22, 2010

Rock-hewn veggie patch


Mr Mac and I have been busy butchering the earth in the name of food production. That doesn't sound very harmonious does it... but the truth is, we don't quite feel in harmony with nature just yet, mainly due to a rampant rabbit problem on our property.

As such we have had to dig a trench around our 10m x 8m veggie patch, and no doubt will be spending every waking (non-working) hour
over the next week installing a rabbit proof fence.

Nevertheless, our little plot is starting to look rather well landscaped, thanks to a glut of small rocks on our property which I, feeling very proud of my resourcefulness, decided to use to neatly demarcate each bed.

However I started to feel unsure about my ingenious idea, as I soon realised that rocks are also homes to many a small creature...and many a vicious bull-ant!

2 comments: