Monday, November 22, 2010

DIY worm farm

My worms seem to be settling well into their moist, three-storey polystyrene home:


Not only are they ravaging all the scraps I'm throwing them, they also seem to be reproducing at a great rate - I found loads of baby worms squiggling about this morning!

With great excitement I also collected my first helping of worm wee, which I promptly diluted in water and sprinkled over our precious seedlings:


But it's the "castings" that every gardener lusts after most - the rich dark compost that worms create when they eat and wriggle their way through decomposing organic matter. It's supposed to be miracle food for plants.

My first batch of castings is just about ready to collect - now comes the tricky part: enticing my worms out of their lovely and familiar middle tier and up into the top tier where fresh, tasty scraps await...

2 comments:

  1. They work hard and they play hard. You might find some tips on the best way to entice the wrigglers out of one of the tiers here...

    http://www.tumbleweed.com.au/worm-farming/can-o-worms

    You can get the manual there for can'o'worms which applies to any worm farm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long did it take before they produced any liquid?

    ReplyDelete